Monday, October 09, 2006

Spare me, drug courier begs



"I apologise unreservedly for all the pain I have caused my family and so many others"

The SMH reports "An emotional letter from the convicted drug trafficker Scott Rush pleading for his life has prompted a move in Federal Parliament to help save him.

Labor's defence spokesman, Robert McClelland, has prepared a private member's notice of motion that calls on Indonesia's President, Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono, and the people of Indonesia to "note and understand Australia's strong opposition to the death penalty".

It calls on Dr Yudhoyono to extend clemency and commute the sentences if a legal challenge to the executions fails."

I would be surprised if Howard does'nt continue to play a low brand of politics with the Bali Nine, but even he may be able to rise above the populist fray to do the right thing , for a change!

No comments: