Wednesday, May 25, 2005

Time for all Christians to stand up...

In my darker musings on mandatory detention I wonder how those claiming to be ‘Christians’ in our society condone this blight on human dignity. I suggest they might think about a refresher course on what it is to be truly Christian.


Earlier asylum seekers

In my daily scan of relevant news articles I came across a report on Archbishop Ncube of Zimbabwe. In accepting the Robert Burns International Humanitarian Award in Scotland last Friday, Archbishop Ncube of Zimbabwe (whom Mugabe has attacked as ‘satanic’ for standing up for his people) slammed Britain over its treatment of asylum seekers. In his acceptance speech the Archbishop referred to the celebrated Scottish Poet, Robert Burns:

“… he had a hard life and understood the lot of the common man. He wrote the poem: ‘A man’s a man for all that’ to portray the dignity of the common man. He calls on human beings to be brothers and sisters and to support one another through respect, love and service. There is no greater message in all the world than that.”

Amen.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I couldn't agree more regarding your comments about "what it is to be truly Christian".

This particular nexus of racism, xenophobia and religion is one of the things I find hardest to understand about the so-called religious Right.