Tuesday, December 12, 2006
Violence against women in Australia: A hidden reality
While Australia is one of the most liveable and wealthy countries in the world, violence towards women continues to exist and at alarming rates:
* One in three women who have been in a relationship have experienced violence by a partner;
* 57% of women have been subjected to violence at some point in their lives;
* 10% of women have experienced violence in a 12 month period;
* Domestic violence contributes to more ill-health and premature death than any other single cause for women aged 15 - 44 years.
* A Victorian Health Promotion Foundation (VicHealth) study concluded that domestic violence is the leading contributor to death, disability and illness in Victorian women between the ages of 15 - 44 years.
Read more about why Australia needs a National Plan of Action
Read some fact sheets about violence towards women
Watch a new Amnesty International video clip: Up to 69